Service Academy Nominations
As a U.S. Representative, Congressman Gonzales has the honor of nominating outstanding young adults to four of the five U.S. Service Academies. For students, admission to a service academy is a two-tiered process. First, the candidate must meet the minimum admission standards set by the individual academy. These standards include, among others, medical, physical and scholastic qualifications. The second is obtaining a nomination from one of the U.S. Senators from the applicant's state, his/her U.S. Representative or the Vice President. It is best to apply for nominations at least one year prior to the desired date of entry.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. Service Academies:
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, NY.
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, MD.
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, CO.
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, NY.
Please note that the fifth Service Academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Service Academy qualifications are as follows:
- U.S. Citizens.
- Legal Residents of Texas's 23rd Congressional District.
- Between the ages of 17 to 23 (or 25 for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy)
- Unmarried with no dependents
- By law, graduates of the service academies are appointed to active duty as commissioned officers and serve in the appropriate branch of the military for a minimum of five years.
Congressman Gonzales may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. Applications are open until October 20, 2021. To begin the application process, please fill out the interest form below.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Service Academy Nominations Coordinator, Dolly Schultz, at Dolly.Schultz@mail.house.gov or review Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.